Intro to My Thoughts and blah, blah

I believe the best way to know someone is to understand what they think. Occasionally this has led me to ask questions that are quite forward but simply for curiosity sake. If I don't understand something, I try to ask. A few of those times, the question wasn't received well and a misunderstanding took place. More and more lately I feel like I am the odd person out because I don't think or believe the same as other people.


I also believe that in order to understand what someone thinks, feels, believes, etc sometimes requires extra background information. As I understand what someone believes, it helps me know why they believe certain things. This extra information can create a bigger picture.


I hope that as I share my thoughts, you will feel inclined to share your thoughts with me either through emails, comments, texts, or phone calls. I love hearing what other people think just so that I can understand and have more empathy towards them. My intent is not offense but hopefully an explanation that may lead to understanding.

At times I may share beliefs or teachings from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. However, I do not speak for the church. The things I share comes from my understanding of things I have learned through study of their teachings. For official church stance or to learn more about the teachings, please visit LDS.org, Mormon.org, or mormonnewsroom.org.

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Listening to the Still, Small Voice

Often at church, we are instructed to be aware of the promptings (as inspiration or revelation) of the Holy Ghost to help us throughout life. Many times, this comes as feelings but sometimes it comes as a voice.  I always thought if I heard the voice, it would be one sent to keep me or family safe or that it would instruct me on how to make major decisions in my life. Until recently, I didn't ever think that voice would come as what seemed like random bits and pieces of information, that at times seemed to go against logic.

During times of the when I had major decisions to make, a combination of circumstance, logical thinking, and feelings worked together to guide my path. They all worked together. As I continue to study and learn more about the love that God has for us His children, I have learned He will give help for those things we ask for through prayer.

Many times I pray for help to make it through the day, keep organized so I can complete tasks I want, and for help in being a good mom. Most of the time, I do things I have learned, read, or been taught throughout my life and I see these things happen over time. Although it is not immediate or a huge change, these are still answers to my prayers.

Back to the point of this post, recently I have noticed a small voice or thought that prompts me to do something I wasn't planning on doing. Sometimes I follow through because it makes sense, I can follow the logic behind the thought. However there are some times when I ignore these thoughts or push them aside because "that doesn't make sense" or "someone would have said something". In the past, I have dismissed these thoughts as me being crazy because why would God be concerned with helping me on such everyday life things.

Here are the 2 examples that come to mind immediately. Back when we lived in another state, packing to visit was very stressful and I tried to do so carefully because of the distance traveled or amount a space available. One time I remember as I was packing, I had the thought to grab our swimsuits. I dismissed the thought with we won't be there long, that's extra packing (because it was swimsuits, swim diapers, etc), and it was winter. However, while we were here, my sister suggested that we go swimming instead of just hanging out playing. Had I listened to that voice instead of my logic, we would have been able to go. Was this life altering? Did not going swimming make me a bad mom? No, but it was still an answer to a prayer to be prepared.

The next one was just this week. In a place where cold weather and snow is common during the winter, this year has been unusually warm and dry. My daughter's preschool had done a unit on water, rain, and snow and as part of it wanted to play in the snow. Because there hadn't been a lot of snow, the outdoor activities kept getting pushed back until snow arrived. Over the weekend, we received that snow. I had remembered her teacher talking about playing in the snow once it happened but I figured she would notify us (by email or text) of the day they were going to play so we send the kids to school prepared. Since it had snowed, I had my daughter grab her coat and wear her snow boots. I placed her hat and snow gloves in her backpack just in case it was cold while they waited to be dropped off and picked up. As I was walking out the door, the thought "pack her snow pants" came to me. Of course I brushed it off as "the teacher would have said something." As I was dropping my daughter off, I noticed kids in the first car and second cars get out in full snow suits and carrying sleds. When it was our turn, I asked if the kids were going to play in the snow today and the teacher responded yes. My choices now were drive home and return with the pants (and the outside layer of her snow coat) or let her play in the snow with just her regular pants. Had I listened to the small thought (voice), I could have just handed the pants over and returned home. Again, an answer to help me use time wisely and be able to do everything I wanted that day and I had ignored it.

Again, these were not big situations or problems but they were responses from a loving father giving because I had asked for them. When they were given, I ignored them. I now have a goal to strive to follow those thoughts, no matter how silly, illogical, or small they seem. I have been grateful when I have followed those thoughts to "grab the Children's Tylenol and cold medicine", "pack sunscreen", or "make sure there are snacks and drinks in the car." When I follow, I am prepared for whatever comes my way; a quick onset cold, a random sunny day with a passerby in need of protection, or a snow storm combined with an accident that prevent us from eating a meal at a regular time. There will be times I may not see or understand how it was an answer to a prayer or a blessing for me and others it becomes quite obvious but at least I will have used the help giving to me when I asked for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is my sincere attempt to help create an understanding. I will not post nor will I tolerate blatantly rude or biting remarks. Contention does not promote understanding. I ask that you only comment if you are trying to add insight, clarification, seek additional information, and the like.