Intro to My Thoughts and blah, blah

I believe the best way to know someone is to understand what they think. Occasionally this has led me to ask questions that are quite forward but simply for curiosity sake. If I don't understand something, I try to ask. A few of those times, the question wasn't received well and a misunderstanding took place. More and more lately I feel like I am the odd person out because I don't think or believe the same as other people.


I also believe that in order to understand what someone thinks, feels, believes, etc sometimes requires extra background information. As I understand what someone believes, it helps me know why they believe certain things. This extra information can create a bigger picture.


I hope that as I share my thoughts, you will feel inclined to share your thoughts with me either through emails, comments, texts, or phone calls. I love hearing what other people think just so that I can understand and have more empathy towards them. My intent is not offense but hopefully an explanation that may lead to understanding.

At times I may share beliefs or teachings from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. However, I do not speak for the church. The things I share comes from my understanding of things I have learned through study of their teachings. For official church stance or to learn more about the teachings, please visit LDS.org, Mormon.org, or mormonnewsroom.org.

Friday, October 10, 2014

Am I doing enough?

I saw this video a week or two ago. I watched it after about 4 friends on Facebook shared and commented about it. I am sure many of us, male or female, feel this way more and more. Am I doing enough? Of course, during school years or in organization classes, we were taught the best way to assess is to look at the facts, data, or create a list to gauge what you are accomplishing. When this happens, many of us look at not what we accomplished but what we didn't, especially when we really wanted to complete everything or when we were sure we could complete everything.

Since watching that video, I realized I need to create a different list as well. I often create "to do" lists and set deadlines so I don't forget about what needs to happen around the house.  Sometimes I would become frustrated when the items weren't completed in the time or in the way I would like them to be. Then I wonder if I am doing enough or why can't I complete all the things others appear to do (sew kids costumes, teach lessons, clean the entire house, make wonderful meals everyday, have tons of homemade crafts and games for the kids, etc.)

Instead of asking myself "Am I doing enough?", I will ask "Am I doing enough of what is truly important?" This will help me focus on the needs of me and my family, not the wants. To refocus my list, I need to remember what is really necessary in life. What are life's necessities? Food, water, clothing, shelter. Right? For me, I would add spiritual needs; prayers, scripture study, time serving (calling, visiting, helping, etc). Now, at the end of the day, instead looking just at what was or wasn't done on my to do list. I can check off the necessities list.

  • Did we say at least one prayers as a family? Did I say at least one personal prayer?
  • Did I read (or hear) scriptures with my kids? Did I take time for personal scripture study? 
  • Did my kids eat? Did I eat?
  • Did they have clothes on? Do I have clothes on?
  • Does my family have shelter and/or protection from the elements? Am I doing what I can to make sure they are or will be protected?
  • Did I take the opportunity to teach when the moment presented itself?
  • Did I watch for service opportunities and take the time to do them?
I won't include, was I wearing making or the cutest outfit, was the house spotless, was dinner nice, etc. Those details don't matter. The necessities were taken care of and that's what matters the most. What other questions would you have on your list? 


Sometimes I am sad that my daughter isn't doing dance, learning piano, or playing a sport already. So many of the kids her age are already doing one or more of these activities. Most days I feel lucky to spend 30 minutes outside playing with her.  On those days (especially when she is trying to guilt trip me with "but I never get to play with my friend" or "we never do anything fun"), I can remember I did what was necessary for the day and that is good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is my sincere attempt to help create an understanding. I will not post nor will I tolerate blatantly rude or biting remarks. Contention does not promote understanding. I ask that you only comment if you are trying to add insight, clarification, seek additional information, and the like.