Intro to My Thoughts and blah, blah

I believe the best way to know someone is to understand what they think. Occasionally this has led me to ask questions that are quite forward but simply for curiosity sake. If I don't understand something, I try to ask. A few of those times, the question wasn't received well and a misunderstanding took place. More and more lately I feel like I am the odd person out because I don't think or believe the same as other people.


I also believe that in order to understand what someone thinks, feels, believes, etc sometimes requires extra background information. As I understand what someone believes, it helps me know why they believe certain things. This extra information can create a bigger picture.


I hope that as I share my thoughts, you will feel inclined to share your thoughts with me either through emails, comments, texts, or phone calls. I love hearing what other people think just so that I can understand and have more empathy towards them. My intent is not offense but hopefully an explanation that may lead to understanding.

At times I may share beliefs or teachings from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. However, I do not speak for the church. The things I share comes from my understanding of things I have learned through study of their teachings. For official church stance or to learn more about the teachings, please visit LDS.org, Mormon.org, or mormonnewsroom.org.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Agency is like...

Recently my husband was helping some young children understand about agency and he came up with an amazing analogy that I wanted to share.

Imagine you are given a gift, a present. This gift is a hammer. When you are given this hammer, you are given rules and hints on how best to use the hammer. You are shown that the hammer is capable of making beautiful and wonderful things. However, this hammer can also be used to break down and destroy things. How the hammer is used is up to you.



You can choose how you use your hammer. You cannot choose how others will use their hammers. You can do your best to choose good materials for your building but there may be challenges and complications; weaknesses and knots in the wood, extra careful measuring, and such. Even when you follow all the rules, creating your building will not be easy. It requires work and diligence. There may be times, no matter how careful you think you may be or how well you are following the instructions, that a nail will bend or you hit your thumb. However, you are still acting for yourself.

On the other hand, using your hammer for destruction often comes easy. There aren't any rules or guidelines. Without meaning to, you can destroy what other people have built. But you will never be able to build anything that is safe and stable without following the rules. At some point, you won't be acting for yourself but will be acted upon by the forces of nature.

This is how agency works. God gave us agency. It is a gift. God has given us commandments. These are like the rules and guidelines on how to build something. When these commandments are followed, even if we don't understand why they must be followed, we will be able to create beautiful things. We are the agents of our lives and can choose to act. When we don't follow them, we may think we are building strong, sound structures but they will be riddled with problems and we may not know how bad those problems are until we are nearing completion. Once this happens, we are not agents. Our choices will be limited and we will have become dependent of the outcomes of our previous choices.

There will be times when we have control and are able to make choices that are the best and sometimes we will have to make choices that turn rough situations into what is best available to us. I am grateful for agency. I am glad I live in a place that grants freedoms that allow me to use my agency. There may be times when I say or do things that sound like I support limiting choice or agency, I don't view it that way. When I support laws and make decisions that follow God's commandments as I understand them, that is my way of trying to help others understand the instructions given so that they may build beautiful strong structures as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is my sincere attempt to help create an understanding. I will not post nor will I tolerate blatantly rude or biting remarks. Contention does not promote understanding. I ask that you only comment if you are trying to add insight, clarification, seek additional information, and the like.