Intro to My Thoughts and blah, blah

I believe the best way to know someone is to understand what they think. Occasionally this has led me to ask questions that are quite forward but simply for curiosity sake. If I don't understand something, I try to ask. A few of those times, the question wasn't received well and a misunderstanding took place. More and more lately I feel like I am the odd person out because I don't think or believe the same as other people.


I also believe that in order to understand what someone thinks, feels, believes, etc sometimes requires extra background information. As I understand what someone believes, it helps me know why they believe certain things. This extra information can create a bigger picture.


I hope that as I share my thoughts, you will feel inclined to share your thoughts with me either through emails, comments, texts, or phone calls. I love hearing what other people think just so that I can understand and have more empathy towards them. My intent is not offense but hopefully an explanation that may lead to understanding.

At times I may share beliefs or teachings from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. However, I do not speak for the church. The things I share comes from my understanding of things I have learned through study of their teachings. For official church stance or to learn more about the teachings, please visit LDS.org, Mormon.org, or mormonnewsroom.org.

Monday, February 27, 2017

Is there a God?

Does God really exist? I believe yes He does.

I have read various articles in which people question God's existence. They say things like "if there is a God/supreme bring and He is good and loves us, why would He let bad things happen?" Or "look at what the bible says or what this religious person has done, therefore there is no God and/or religion is bad."

Many people look at the things humans do and then blame God for those things or claim if people act a certain that way then there couldn't possibly be a god. That's why I love the example story about the barber. (The shortened version is a barber doesn't believe in God and spends the entire haircut saying as much, including the examples above, to the man in the chair. After, the man who just listened to all that, exited the barber shop and returned a few moments later with someone who hasn't had a haircut in a while and proceeds to use this man as proof there aren't barbers.) You wouldn't ever look at someone who doesn't take care of their hair or cut their hair and assume hair stylists or barbers don't care or don't exist, right? So then why blame God when people, religious or not, make choices?

I believe in coincidence, chance, and happenstance but I also think there are things too big to fall into those categories. The existence of the earth and everything on it: too complex and too slim of chances for all this to just happen without any assistance.

Have you ever studied the complexity with the rotation of the planets, their moons, and the solar systems? As objects move too close or too far, climates change and determine if life can be sustained. The size of a moon, its rotation, and its distance from a planet determines if it will orbit or it becomes a free floater.

The human body is amazing and man has nowhere near the knowledge to create anything that comes close to the why the human body works, let alone create life out of nothing. The cells, organs, molecules and everything else work together in such a way that its hard to believe in chance. Minimal changes cause terrible problems within the body. Our bodies have the potential to heal themselves within certain limits.

To me, just about everything we can observe here on Earth and in outer space around us are evidence that God exists and that he has a hand in ensuring the creation of the matter around us.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is my sincere attempt to help create an understanding. I will not post nor will I tolerate blatantly rude or biting remarks. Contention does not promote understanding. I ask that you only comment if you are trying to add insight, clarification, seek additional information, and the like.