Intro to My Thoughts and blah, blah

I believe the best way to know someone is to understand what they think. Occasionally this has led me to ask questions that are quite forward but simply for curiosity sake. If I don't understand something, I try to ask. A few of those times, the question wasn't received well and a misunderstanding took place. More and more lately I feel like I am the odd person out because I don't think or believe the same as other people.


I also believe that in order to understand what someone thinks, feels, believes, etc sometimes requires extra background information. As I understand what someone believes, it helps me know why they believe certain things. This extra information can create a bigger picture.


I hope that as I share my thoughts, you will feel inclined to share your thoughts with me either through emails, comments, texts, or phone calls. I love hearing what other people think just so that I can understand and have more empathy towards them. My intent is not offense but hopefully an explanation that may lead to understanding.

At times I may share beliefs or teachings from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. However, I do not speak for the church. The things I share comes from my understanding of things I have learned through study of their teachings. For official church stance or to learn more about the teachings, please visit LDS.org, Mormon.org, or mormonnewsroom.org.

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Being Friends on Social Media

I always seem to be behind the times; in hair styles, clothing, trends, etc. This is especially true when it comes to technology and social media. I never had a "Myspace" page. I started my first blog in 2009 which was the down side of a bell curve of people reading and writing blogs. I didn't join Facebook for another year or 2 after that and I only joined then because we had moved out of state and every one kept telling me that it's the best way to stay in contact with friends and see what is going on in people's lives. Only recently did I join Instagram. Still not on Twitter.

Looking back, I can see how all these things evolved. When email came out, that was how everyone communicated. You sent an email to catch up with friends because you weren't sure you could talk on the phone.  Sometimes you sent mass emails to make sure people were updated on your life or to collect information you needed. Then came blogs and Myspace. Places were you could update information about your life so that only those who were interested could come read about you. Then Facebook and others as a way to share certain particulars or reconnect with people you may have lost connection with over the years. Media, marketing, celebrities, etc then grabbed a hold of these means of communication so now our feeds are so full of these groups, most of our time is spent looking and tracking them. 

In theory, social media platforms can keep you informed of what is going on around you and keep you updated on others lives. Sometimes its only because of Facebook that I know when friends or family are having or have had kids, moved, changed jobs, etc. However, I feel social media can make us feel alienated from the people we claim we are connecting with.

I often ask myself, "Why didn't so-so like what I posted? Do they really not like it? Did they not see it?" or "Why did so-so like the post? They've never been interested in that before. Do they actually like what I posted or is it just because they want to show support for me?" These are just a few of the questions I sometimes ask when I am too focused on what people's opinions of me are. Sometimes I start doubting myself or my relationship with someone because I see how they interact with others and compare it with how they interact with me.

I guess the point I am trying to get at is...social media helps me stay a little more up to date with friends, family, acquaintances and people from my past but I don't feel like it helps strength or even prompt actual friendship.

"The internet; where everyone has a opinion but no one is listening" - since I don't know if anyone else said this, I'll attribute it to my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is my sincere attempt to help create an understanding. I will not post nor will I tolerate blatantly rude or biting remarks. Contention does not promote understanding. I ask that you only comment if you are trying to add insight, clarification, seek additional information, and the like.